Headlines:

Man rescued after surviving weeks alone in Alaska

Tyson Steele, a 30-year-old from Utah, was rescued by state troopers in Alaska after he managed to survive more than three weeks after the roof of his cabin had caught fire.

He  was found at a makeshift shelter at his remote homestead about 20 miles outside of Skwentna, located about 70 miles northwest of Anchorage. State troopers spotted his SOS message in the snow from a helicopter. He lived on canned foods that survived the blaze. Authorities only found Mr Steele after concerned family members asked them to check on him. He bought the cabin  from a Vietnam war veteran and has been living alone in it to test himself since September. On 17 or 18 December the cabin was fully ablaze. He was unable to save his chocolate labrador, Phil. The fire ignited hundreds of rounds of ammunition and a propane tank in the cabin.

SOS-in-Alaska

After disaster he spent the first two nights in a snow cave. He then fashioned a basic tent from scraps of tarpaulin, built in a dome around the woodstove. After rescue, the man said it plans spend some time with family and after to return to the remote cabin and rebuild.

Comments