E-cigarette produced damage exploding in mouth of a teenage boy

0
112

A 17 year teenage boy was seriously injured when an e-cigarette exploded in his mouth, breaking his jaw. The patient had extensive wounds to his mouth, several missing teeth and a broken lower jaw, said Dr. Katie Russell, a pediatric trauma surgeon at the University of Utah and Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City. Doctors needed to remove several teeth from the boy’s mouth because their sockets had been destroyed. The hospital’s ear, neck, and throat surgeon added a plate to the teen’s lower mandible. However his mouth still wouldn’t close properly, and so doctors wired his jaw shut for six weeks to give it time to heal.

bones-fractures
Bones fractures after e-cigarette explosion

“When I met this patient, I had no idea that a vape pen could do this. It takes a lot of force to break your jaw,” Russell said. The exact cause of these explosions isn’t clear. In the boy’s case, the device was in good condition and hadn’t shown any problems prior to the explosion. Some evidence suggests that issues with the devices’ batteries may lead to explosions, the FDA says. Back in February of this year, a Texas man was killed after an exploding vape pen severed an artery to his brain. A similar accident happened last year in Florida.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here