The patient went to the park on 9/8/18 and became ill on 9/14/18. It was too late for him to be saved being trated with miltefosine. The amoeba, Naegleria fowleri, can be found in warm bodies of fresh water such as lakes and hot springs. It infects people by entering the nose and making its way to the brain. It causes primary amebic meningoencephalitis which is almost always fatal. Infections typically happen when in freshwater places like lakes and rivers.
The resort is cooperating with an investigation to locate where in its water system the amoeba might be. Samples were taken from across the park. The park remains closed until further notice pending investigation. “There have been no reports of other illnesses, and Naegleria fowleri infection does not spread from person to person,” Brittany Behm, spokeswoman at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, communicated to media. CDC is testing water samples for Naegleria fowleri and will be working with the local and state health departments. Millions of people are exposed to the amoeba that causes naegleria infection each year, but only a handful of them ever get sick from it. Generally beginning within two to 15 days of exposure to the amoeba, signs and symptoms of naegleria infection may include: a change in the sense of smell or taste, fever, sever headache, sensitivity to light, nausea and vomiting, confusion, loss of balance, sleepiness, seizures, hallucinations.