An U.S. man was killed in a vaping-pen explosion


The Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner said the official cause of death was “projectile wound of head” after discovering two pieces of the vape pen in his cranium. The 38-year-old Tallmadge D’Elia suffered also burns over 80% of his bod. It was discovered by firefighters in the burning bedroom of his family home in the beach resort of St Petersburg, Florida. This is the first known death from an e-cigarette explosion in America. The electronic cigarette was manufactured by Smok-E Mountain, based in the Philippines, said the medical examiner. Usually, their devices do not explode.


Man killed by a vaping pen explosion

The vape pen that Mr D’Elia was using was a so-called mechanical mod, meaning it drew power directly from the battery. A representative of the manufacturer, Smok-E Mountain, blamed the device’s battery for the explosion. It was also supposed to be a cloned vaping dispositif. Some other e-cigarettes come with computer chips that monitor that battery’s heat and prevent devices from overheating. According to the US Fire Administration, between 2009-16 there were 195 separate incidents of explosions and fires involving an e-cigarette, resulting in 133 acute injuries, 38 of them severe. The Food and Drug Administration has said it’s not clear what causes some vape pens to explode, but it could stem from battery-related issues.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here