Teen woman died after contracting a brain-eating amoeba visiting recreation center

0
579

met with the Mecklenburg County Health Department Tuesday after learning about the death and released additional chlorine into its water system “in an abundance of caution.” The woman’s name was Lauren Seitz. She was visiting some Southern states on a youth mission music tour with her church. Seitz was traveling with a group of youth to sing at various nursing homes and churches.It was a ‘fun day’ to visit the Whitewater Center on Wednesday, June 8. The suspected cause of her death was attributed to Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM), a disease that is caused by Naegleria floweri, a free-living amoeba that dwells in bodies of warm freshwater. Seitz had not been swimming at all in Ohio waters during the infection’s incubation period , one to seven days. No other people in the group had any symptoms of disease. The investigation is ongoing.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here