He told to his friends about his intention a few seconds before doing this, because he thought that was a great idea, and they urged him to stop. The young man was killed instantly when he was going to light the fireworks tube. “Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid. He was the kind of person who would pretend to do something stupid to make people laugh,” a witness said. This was the first fireworks fatality in Maine since the state legalized fireworks on Jan. 1, 2012, repealing a 1949 law banning fireworks. Devon Staples lived in Orlando where he used to work at Disney World. He would dress up as various characters and talked to the little kids. Many others accidents occurred in the last weekend with fireworks in the U.S.