Choe Son Hui, North Korea’s first vice minister of foreign affairs, said the two nations will have preliminary contact on October 4 before holding working-level talks on October 5. The office of South Korean President Moon Jae-in, who lobbied hard to set up the first summit between Kim and Trump last year in Singapore, welcomed Choe’s announcement and expressed hope that the resumed talks would result in “substantial progress” in denuclearisation and stabilisation of peace. The US special representative for North Korea, Stephen Biegun, will lead the US side of the working-level talks with North Korea.
Trump and Kim in Singapore
In February, Trump left the meeting with no joint agreement after Kim insisted all US sanctions be lifted on his country. North Korea tested a new weapons system on May 4, this year and continued to test short-range ballistic missiles and submarine launched missiles. Trump showed off a “very beautiful” letter from Kim in August. “It depends on the US whether the DPRK-US negotiations will become a window of opportunity or an occasion that will hasten the crisis,” Kim Song, chair of North Korea’s delegation, told the UN on Monday. Former national security adviser John Bolton criticized President Donald Trump’s strategy on North Korea during his first speech since leaving the White House. Bolton said Monday that Kim would “never give up the nuclear weapons voluntarily.”