He’s been charged with one count of destroying or damaging property and has been granted conditional bail to face court in September . The monument has been standing for almost 90 years. The Dog on the Tuckerbox monument was erected as part of ‘Back to Gundagai’ Week in 1932. It was unveiled by the Prime Minister of Australia Joseph Lyons on 28 November 1932 as a tribute to pioneers. The statue was inspired by a bullock drover’s poem, “Bullocky Bill”. A nationwide competition was held to obtain the most suitable inscription for the monument. An annual Dog on the Tuckerbox Festival has been held each year since 1992, the 60th anniversary of the monument. On 28 July 2019, dismounted from its plinth and suffered some damage. The dog’s ear was broken off and its nose was damaged.
The monument before being vandalised
Investigators released images of the man and woman allegedly responsible. Thousands have expressed their sadness about the incident on social media. The low act was not welcome in the community. “Visitors are shocked and saddened and we would’ve had about 100 people come today who are disappointed to find it like this, especially those who have traveled a long way.” A GoFundMe page has been set up to raise money for CCTV to monitor the statue. Previously, the dog was stolen in 1981 by a group of Canberra university students as part of a prank.