Headlines:

46 people treated for carbon monoxide exposure at a Super 8 motel in Winnipeg, Canada

All forty-six victims of carbon monoxide poisoning at a Winnipeg hotel Tuesday have been discharged from local hospitals.

“None of the patients were requiring resuscitation, none were intubated …. [but] their carbon monoxide levels were such that they were in the critical category,” Fire Chief John Lane said. There has still been no official word on what caused the leak. The City of Winnipeg said emergency crews were called to the Super 8 Hotel at 3760 Portage Avenue at 10:19 a.m., when an automatic alarm showed there was carbon monoxide gas. The poisoning was believed to be caused by a problem in the boiler room, as that was where the alarm originated. When the leak was discovered, carbon monoxide levels at the hotel were 385 ppm, and the union for Winnipeg firefighters explained that levels of 12-20 ppm will trigger evacuations. Symptoms become noticeable at 70 ppm. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause illness or even death.

carbon-monoxide

All of the people affected were taken to different hospitals around the city. The building was completely ventilated using powerful fans and carbon monoxide levels had returned to zero ppm within 90 minutes of the arrival of emergency responders. Since 2011, carbon monoxide detectors have been mandatory in all new buildings in Manitoba. The Super 8 Hotel was last inspected in 2017 and was found to be compliant. The hotel’s owner, Justin Schinkel, said something of this magnitude has never happened at the hotel before. Customers were let back into the hotel at about 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Comments