Both the White House and the US State Department said last week that they will continue to prepare for the meeting between President Trump and the DPRK’s top leader Kim. Meeting with President Moon Jae-in of South Korea at the White House, Trump said there is a “very substantial chance” the talks could be postponed from the scheduled date of June 12 if the countries failed to come to terms on various issues. He also hinted that the Chinese leader might be behind North Korea’s return to more aggressive rhetoric against the U.S. Pressed by reporters on whether he believed Xi had discouraged Kim from meeting with U.S. leaders, Trump said no and that he wasn’t “blaming anybody.”
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, whose trip to North Korea in April paved the way for further discussions between the U.S. and North Korea, declined to speculate on the likelihood of the summit’s taking place as planned. “President Trump has made clear, and I’ve made clear, too, that it’s incredibly central that that pressure remain in place and that China continue to participate in that pressure campaign. We have every reason to expect that they will continue do so,” Mike Pompeo added.