Incident with toxic substances at a swim center in Sydney


Six children and four adults have been taken to hospital after being exposed to a “toxic cloud” at a swim center, indoor pool, in Prestons, southwest of Sydney. They were taken to hospitals in Fairfield, Liverpool, Campbelltown and Bankstown. The incident occurred on Friday afternoon. A number of other people were feeling unwell. They were suffering from shortness of breath. 30 people were evacuated. As ” Fire and Rescue NSW Superintendent Adam Dewberry said, accidentally hydrochloric acid and a pool chlorine were mixed together. “They have caused a toxic and nasty vapour.” A such incident is not rare in the summer but significant health concerns can occur.


Emergemcy crew worked to dilute the toxic chemical mix. Specialist firefighters from the hazardous materials unit ventilated the center to reduce the toxic fumes in the air back to safe levels. Police will continue to investigate the incident with the help of WorkCover NSW.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here