A man in an electronic store bit a smartphone battery and the battery exploded

0
612

The incident was captured by the store’s CCTV security cameras. A 10-second video clip of the explosion has been circulating on social media in the country. The footage comes from an iPhone repair service called GeekBar, which is based in the Chinese city of Nanjing (see the movie here). The news comes two weeks after an Apple Store in Zurich, Switzerland, was evacuated after an iPhone battery reportedly overheated and exploded.

Battery-explosion
The moment when the battery exploded

We know a fact: lithium ion batteries are notoriously unpredictable. All batteries carry a safety risk. They become more sensitive to mechanical abuse. Damaging a battery can cause it to short circuit and spark a buildup of heat. “The temperature can quickly reach 500 degrees Celsius (932 degrees Fahrenheit), at which point the cell catches fire or it explodes,” according to Battery University. However, lithium-ion batteries have a failure rate that is less than one in a million. The failure rate of a quality Li-ion cell is better than 1 in 10 million.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here