Previously, Australia, China and Malaysia ended a fruitless A$200-million ($157 million) search of a 120,000 sq. km area in January last year, despite investigators urging the search be extended to a 25,000-square-km area further to the north. “As we speak, the vessel, Seabed Constructor, is on her way to the search area, taking advantage of favorable weather conditions in the South Indian ocean,” Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said told in a news conference.
A search unit of Ocean Infinity company
The search will begin on Jan. 17, said Ocean Infinity Chief Executive Oliver Plunkett. Its priority is to locate the wreckage or the flight and cockpit recorders, and present credible evidence to confirm their location. Ocean Infinity has a 65 crew. The ship could complete the search within three or four weeks, and cover up to 60,000 square km in 90 days. At least theoretically, this time the wreckage must be found. Debris from MH370 could provide clues to events on board before the crash. On 8 March 2014, the Boeing 777-200ER aircraft registered as Malaysia Airlines 9M-MRO and operating as flight MH370 (MH370) disappeared from air traffic control radar after taking off from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on a scheduled passenger service to Beijing, China with 227 passengers and 12 crew on board. Many theories have been advanced to explain the plane’s disappearance, including the possibility that the pilot deliberately crashed the aircraft.