The Indonesian navy on Sunday said the 53 crewmembers aboard the submarine that went missing last week are dead. “Based on the evidence, it can be stated that the KRI Nanggala has sunk and all of its crew have died,” military chief Marshal Hadi Tjahjanto told reporters. It was broken into three pieces,” Navy Chief of Staff Yudo Margono said. The news came a day after debris believed to be from the KRI Nanggala-402 submarine was found floating about two miles from the submarine’s last known location. A rescue ship from Singapore sent a remote operated vehicle to get clearer underwater visual imagery of the sub at a depth of 850 meters. “The hull of the ship, the stern of the ship, and the main parts are all separated, with the main part found cracked.” Indonesian President Joko Widodo sent out his condolences to the family members of the crewmembers on board the vessel. The Indonesian government will work with the International Submarine Escape and Rescue Liaison Office, he said, “because to evacuate the Nanggala submarine we need international cooperation.”
The cause of the disappearance has not yet been discovered. Zachary Abuza, a professor of Southeast Asia studies at the National War College in Washington, D.C., told media that submarines do not last as long in the warmer waters in tropical climates and said Indonesia does not have a good track record of caring for its ships.