Shirley Hair, a woman 65 old of Winterbourne, Bristol, was saved after months of fighting for her life because she was catching a flesh-eating bug from a Siamese cat scratch.
When she was admitted to hospital she was diagnosed with sepsis, septic shock, organ failure, pneumonia and necrotising fasciitis, a flesh-eating disease that can be fatal. After more than two months in intensive care and a series of operations and skin grafts, Shirley was well enough to go home. She suffered two heart attacks and was kept in intensive care for over a month before she began to show signs of improvement. ‘’I felt like I was going to die. I couldn’t believe this could all happen from a simple scratch,’’ Shirley declared. ‘’After coming out of the coma I was severely paranoid due to the combination of infection and medication,” she also added.
Shirley and her husband
Before to go home, a major decision about he £400 pedigree cat who almost killed her was taken. ‘’After all that happened I decided I really couldn’t face Chan the cat any more so my daughter Zoe volunteered to have him.”