A 37 old man armed with a bow and arrows killed five people Wednesday near the Norwegian capital of Oslo. There was “a confrontation” between officers and the assailant but the killer was arrested. Two other people were wounded and hospitalized in intensive care, including an officer who was off duty and inside the shop. A motive is still unknown, but authorities said they believe he is solely responsible for the attack. The attack involved multiple scenes, including a supermarket, and it took time for police to find the suspect and gather details on the situation. Norway Prime Minister Erna Solberg said the scene was “gruesome.” “The news is terrifying. I understand that people are getting scared,” Solberg said at a press conference. T
he National Police Directorate also issued a national order to temporarily arm officers, but it added that police had no indication the country’s terrorism threat level had changed. However authorities had not ruled out the possibility of a terror attack. Under Norwegian law, officers typically must have prior approval to carry firearms.The suspect is a Danish citizen who lives in the town, police said. The attack comes on the eve of a new government after last month’s parliamentary elections unseated the long-ruling Conservative Party. It’s over a decade since Norway’s worst terrorist attack. In July 2011, Norwegian far-right extremist Anders Behring Brevik killed 77 people, many of them teenagers, in a bomb attack and gun rampage.