Huge blazes were spread along France’s Mediterranean coast and Portugal

0
501

The latest blaze broke out in Bormes-Les-Mimosas, in Provence. “The blaze may have been started by arsonists”, said François Arizzi, the mayor of Bormes-les-Mimosas. “The investigation will tell us, but I suspect there was malice.” Some people were forced to sleep on the beach at Bormes-les-Mimosas in the Var region in southern France . France asked for Europe’s help to tackle the flames.

sleeping-on-the-beaches
People sleeping on beach

On Tuesday over 4,000 firefighters and troops backed by 19 water bombers had already been mobilized. At least 12 firefighters have been injured and 15 police officers affected by smoke inhalation. had devoured around 4,000 hectares (15 square miles) of land along the Mediterranean coast, in the mountainous interior and on Corsica. A fire in La Croix-Valmer near Saint-Tropez, a resort frequented by the rich and famous, had been contained. “It’s a disaster area. There’s nothing left,” deputy mayor Rene Carandante said. In Carros, north of Nice, local mayor Charles Scibetta described waking up to a “lunar landscape” and said residents had a lucky escape. Portugal has been battling fresh blazes since Sunday in centre of the country, forcing the evacuation of around 10 villages.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here