Dozens poisoned with carbon monoxide at an illegal party in Norway

0
1
blank

Portable diesel generators used to power lighting and sound systems for an illegal party in a bunker in central Oslo, Norway, poisoned at least 27 people with carbon monoxide. Five people, including two police officers who were first on the scene , were hospitalized in critical condition. Their lives are not in danger. Up to 200 partygoers in their 20s and 30s had gathered for the rave. Emergency services found Sunday seven people unconscious in the bunker. The party started late Saturday night and had been announced on closed social media pages. The organizers later said the diesel generators were in a room with ventilation but the fact was not confirmed.

blank

The carbon monoxide is harmful because it displaces oxygen from red blood cells, resulting in damage to major organs. In some cases it can be fatal. Two people faced preliminary charges of trespassing and illegally being inside a bunker. More people could face preliminary charges, police said. Officers discovered the event when a police patrol met a group of confused young people in the park. The company that owns the bunker described the illegal rave as a “serious break-in” and insisted that it did not bear any responsibility.