North Korea has launched two short-range ballistic missiles early on Wednesday in the Sea of Japan, from the Wonsan area. The missiles flew 250km (155 miles).
This was for a second time in a week. South Korean Defence minister Jeong Kyeong-doo said the missiles were identified as a different type from previous models. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe confirmed that there was no impact on Japan's security following the launch. Earlier this month, North Korea hinted that new talks with the US talks might not occur if the U.S. went ahead with a scheduled military exercise with South Korea in August. On Monday Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said there was "nothing in the works" with regard to a third Trump-Kim summit. However he said that he hoped these talks could start "very soon."
Satellite images of North Korea's main nuclear site last month showed movement, suggesting the country could be reprocessing radioactive material into bomb fuel. South Korean authorities are on alert. “We confirm that North Korea has launched several unidentified projectiles from Hodo Peninsula area within Southern Hamkyung Province at dawn on Wednesday,” a South Korean military official told to media. The White House is aware of the reports and is monitoring the situation, a senior administration official confirmed.