Headlines:

Dozens killed Saturday in Iran after gunmen attacked a military parade

Gunmen disguised as soldiers attacked an annual Iranian military parade Saturday when RevolutionaryGuards men marched down Ahvaz's Quds, or Jerusalem, Boulevard.

Iran's Revolutionary Guard is a paramilitary force answerable only to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. At least 25 people were killed and other dozens wounded including women and children. Suspicion immediately fell on the region's Arab separatists. Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif immediately blamed the attack on regional countries and their "U.S. masters." It called the gunmen "terrorists recruited, trained armed and paid" by foreign powers. "Iran will respond swiftly and decisively in defense of Iranian lives," he promised.

massacre-in-Iran
Massacre at a military parade in Iran

The state-run IRNA news agency said the attack killed 25 people and wounded 53, citing "knowledgeable sources." Details about the attack remained unclear. Some sources indicated two gunmen on a motorcycle wearing khaki uniforms carried out the attack. Khuzestan Gov. Gholamreza Shariati told that two gunmen were killed and two others were arrested. Hours later it was reported that all four gunmen had been killed, one of them succumbing later to his wounds at a hospital. The Islamic State group was blamed too for this attack until by consensus was decided that Arab separatists in the region were responsible. Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said the attack was linked to the United States' "allies in the region".

Comments