Headlines:

Dozen killed, many wounded in a suicide attack in Kabul

At least 12 people were killed and 31 wounded when a suicide attacker blew himself up among government ministry employees in Kabul who had left work early for Ramadan and were waiting to take a bus home.

Women and children were among the casualties. The responsibility for attack was claimed by ISIS. Police spokesman Hashmat Stanikzai confirmed the attacker had targeted the employees as they waited for the bus. The attack was just one of several around Afghanistan Monday. The latest violence comes as dozens of protesters march hundreds of kilometres towards Kabul to demand an end to the nearly 17-year conflict. The Taliban said Saturday their fighters would stop attacking Afghan security forces, but only for the first three days of Eid, the holiday capping Ramadan.

after-Kabulattack

They said they would continue attacking US-led NATO troops. The government ceasefire runs until June 20. Last week, a motorcycle suicide bomber killed 14 people near a gathering of Muslim scholars in the Afghan capital after they had issued a religious ruling against suicide bombings, officials said, in the latest in a series of attacks to hit Kabul. A week earlier, 60 people were killed and more than 100 wounded when a suicide bomber blew himself up outside a voter registration center in the city.

Comments