A Sacramento woman 47-year-old has been hospitalized and currently is in a semicomatose state after using a facial cream tainted with methylmercury.
She was found to have more than 500 times the acceptable amount of mercury in her blood. Mercury can enter the nervous system and cause severe damage. “Once it crosses into the brain, even if you go to the hospital, the medication we have cannot pull it out,” Sacramento County Public Health Officer Dr. Olivia Kasirye told to media. The Pond's-labeled skin cream was obtained through an informal network that imported the cream from Mexico. "The mercury was not added by the Pond's manufacturer, but by a third party after purchase," the investigation found. Methylmercury can cause symptoms such as memory loss, anxiety, depression, headaches and tremors.
Pond's said in a statement that the company does not use mercury in its products. "We strongly recommend only purchasing POND'S products from trusted retailers," they added. "Illegitimate sales, product tampering and reselling are beauty industry issues that deserve close attention and consumer awareness," Ponds said. It is known that in California over the last nine years, there have been more than 60 poisonings linked to foreign brand.